Website Life Science Cares
The need: Too many of our neighbors are living in poverty—struggling to meet basic needs, to obtain an education, and to earn a living wage.
The opportunity: Life science companies and their employees are motivated to make a positive impact through volunteering, investing, and raising awareness of the issues of poverty and inequity.
Life Science Cares provides a platform for companies and their employees to make a difference. We make impactful grants to local nonprofits and lead strategic public-private partnerships that directly support underserved communities. We currently operate in five regions: Boston, Philadelphia, New York, San Diego, and the Bay Area.
As part of our broader mission to eliminate poverty, we have ambitious goals to make life science careers more accessible to students from underserved communities. As one leg of that work, we created and run Project Onramp, a paid summer internship program for students from under-resourced and often from underrepresented backgrounds. Our goal is to bridge the opportunity gap for these promising young people, as well as to provide an”onramp” to a good first job upon graduation.
About the Role
Life Science Cares has begun scaling Project Onramp across all LSC affiliate sites. The Project Onramp Manager in San Diego will execute and manage all program elements to launch and implement the program on the local level.
This role will report to the Executive Director of Life Science Cares San Diego with consistent communication with the National Project Onramp Director.
Stakeholder Relationship Building
• Source and work with industry partners to create paid internship positions
• Work with industry partners to identify a company’s internal resources to support students beyond HR and supervisor
• Organize and participate in information sessions to build new industry partnerships
• Source new sponsors and nurture existing sponsor relationships with Life science companies, VCs and related industry stakeholders
• Source and work with new student support partners to build additional pools of student applicants
• Build a new, robust process for university partnerships
• Develop internship profiles/job descriptions with each partner company, for each position, and collect required company information and contacts
• Communicate with company HR throughout the summer for check-ins and troubleshooting; act as “customer service” for corporate partners
• Work with Student Support Partners to optimize matchmaking, hiring, feedback and support processes
• Maintain a database of available internships for partners to access
• Ensure open and frequent communication between students, support partners, hiring managers and supervisors throughout the summer; troubleshoot student challenges or HR issues
• Help to define the future direction of the program in San Diego through analysis of student demographics and other data
• Help to create a San Diego alumni network of Project Onramp interns, and create programming for this new feature of the program
• Be an important thought partner with Life Science Cares staff in order to integrate Project Onramp with the mission of Life Science Cares San Diego
• Communicate with core outside partners
• Help to create Project Onramp DE&I trainings for partner companies to use
Communications, Marketing & Events
• Create branded materials, best practices documents, surveys and other materials for students, supervisors and other stakeholders
• Create and post website and social media content
• Participate on industry panels and discussion groups to promote Project Onramp and related initiatives
• Support planning & execution of Internship Bootcamp
• Develop and execute career development & networking programming for interns throughout the summer
• Recruit volunteers as speakers, mentors and small group activities
• 5-7 years of work or volunteer experience in program management, corporate HR or executive search.
• Interest in presenting the latest in DE&I workforce development thinking to both corporate teams and students
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as a team player.
• High energy and passion for Life Science Care’s mission with a passion for workforce development and nonprofit work.
• Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail; able to multitask and work well under pressure to meet all deadlines.
• Experience taking initiative to solve problems independently and creatively in a fast-paced environment and delivering results while managing competing priorities.
Life Science Cares is an equal opportunity employer that supports and celebrates diversity. As such, we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, partners, and stakeholders. We believe our workplace and communities thrive when we actively promote Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice in all we do.
The Manager of Project Onramp San Diego needs to be readily accessible to stakeholders primarily based in San Diego County. Life Science Cares has offices in San Diego and the Manager of Project Onramp San Diego will be expected to be present in office for team in office days which are twice a week.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range: $60,000-$75,000 based on experience. LSC provides a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and 401(k) with employer match as well as generous paid time off and flexible work schedule.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org